Subject: Catapillar ID
Location: Abilene, Texas
I found this on my flame grape which is beside my tomatoes. I have always had tomato hornworms but this is very different. First year I’ve seen this one. Earlier in the week I believe I found the mature version sitting atop the fence. It was a very very pale green with little to no markings and its head was retracted into its body. Unfortunately I did not get a pic of it..
Signature: Charlotte Rhodes

Early Instar Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

Early Instar Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

Dear Charlotte,
Like your Tomato Hornworms, this is also a Sphinx Moth Caterpillar in the family Sphingidae, but it is in the genus Eumorpha.  We believe, based on its similarity to this BugGuide image, that it is an early instar Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar.  We only have images of mature Achemon Sphinx Caterpillars on our site, and they do feed on grape.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae may be tan or green, with white diagonal elongated/segmented spiracular spots from A3 to A7. “Horn” on tail end is lost after the fourth instar. Pupates in burrows in the soil.”

Thank you so much.  I looked it up and the adult pic I saw did look like the one I had on the fence. Feel free to use the pic I sent on your site, I did take it. Glad I found your site, will be visiting it often.
Charlotte

Location: Abilene, Texas