Subject: Caterpillar
Location: Minnesota
Dear bugman,
I found a caterpillar at my lake cabin in Minnesota. I would like to know what kind it is, will it turn in a moth, etc.
Signature: from cassie

Sawfly Larva

Sawfly Larva

Dear Cassie,
We lightened up your lateral view and we conclude this is not a Caterpillar.  There are ten legs visible, three true legs and seven prolegs, and because insects have bilateral symmetry, we can deduce that there are seven pairs of prolegs.  Most caterpillars have five pairs of prolegs, though caterpillars from the Inchworm family Geometridae have but two pairs of prolegs.  This is the larva of a Sawfly, and though it really resembles members of the genus Cimbex, including the Elm Sawfly, we have never seen such coloration that we can recall.  Perhaps one of our readers will recognize this Sawfly.

Unknown Sawfly Larva

Unknown Sawfly Larva

Ed. Note:  August 15, 2015
We finally located an image of an Elm Sawfly Larva on BugGuide with similar coloration, and it is also from Minnesota.

Location: Minnesota