Subject: Curious what this is…
Location: Kansas City, MO
Dear Sir,
Was working on a log pole bed with my son in our driveway when I spotted this land on our railing. Any idea what this is? I appreciate your help because I can’t even begin to conceive of a description for the Internet that would yield the answer .
Signature: Thanks, William

Red Footed Cannibalfly

Red Footed Cannibalfly

Dear William,
Several predatory Robber Flies have marvelous and descriptive common names and your individual has one of the best.  It is a Red Footed Cannibalfly and your images beautifully document the red feet.

Red Footed Cannibalfly

Red Footed Cannibalfly

Thank you Daniel. Apparently it was “two for one day” that day, because later the same day my wife and I also had our first encounter in the garage with an insect that scared the hell out of us. So I was able to look that one up, and at first I thought it was a Gasteruption Jaculator, but when I read the range for that animal is Europe only, I kept looking and found the Giant Ichneumon on your site. So after learning she’s harmless to humans, I went back in the garage and got her on my hand, and took her out to an old dead stump on our front drive that I’m saving for some woodwork. She probably found plenty of food in there for her young!
When the Red Footed Cannibalfly happen along, I went right back to your website, but I had to ask because I didn’t even know how to begin describing that one in writing.
Thanks again,
Wm

Location: Kansas City, Missouri