Subject: other animals
Location: Vancouver, WA
I love your website! You have helped me on more than one occasion. Do you know of a similar site to help one identify other animals? Specifically, today’s question regards a frog that a neighbor found in her upstairs bathroom in western washington this morning. She has a picture of it. I haven’t found one I’m sure of by searching images, so wondered if there is a good source to ask. Thanks!
Signature: Carla Dillenburg

Pacific Chorus Frog

Pacific Chorus Frog

Dear Carla,
The very loose definition we use for “Bug” is “things that crawl” so we do have an Amphibian category on our site.  This is a Pacific Tree Frog or Pacific Chorus Frog, and according to State Symbols USA:  “The Pacific chorus frog (also called Pacific tree frog) can be brown, tan, grey or green, and produce their charming sound by puffing up their throat sacs to three times the size of their heads.”  The site also notes:  “Washington designated the Pacific chorus frog (Pseudacris regilla) as the official state amphibian in 2007 (proposed by a third grade class at Boston Harbor Grade School in North Olympia, Washington). The Pacific chorus frog is a native amphibian found in every county of Washington state.”  California Herps has some nice images.

Thank you!  Is it possible it arrived in her second floor bathroom via plumbing?  She has no windows in that bathroom, and all other windows screened and closed.

We think not.  Tree Frogs climb quite well, and we would favor a window or accidental transport.

Location: Vancouver, Washington

One Response to Pacific Chorus Frog

1. During the peak of the breeding season, huge numbers of males may gather on the same nights, creating an incredible din. Because Pacific Chorus Frogs are common in southern California, the sound of these choruses has been played in the background of many Hollywood movies.