Subject: Dragonflies are awesome!
Location: Back Bay National Park, Virginia Beach
Hi Daniel!
I absolutely love your site, by the way.
Anyways, my dad and I took a trip to Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge, at Virginia beach, at the end of July. My dad and I both love birdwatching, so we go there with binoculars and a camera, in my case. To my delight, the place was filled with many different species of dragonflies!!! Needless to say, I didn’t get much birdwatching done. 😛
I’m attaching three photos and (I think) I’ve identified the first two, but I have no idea what the third might be. Any thoughts?
1- Four spotted pennant
2- Widow skimmer (female)
3- ???
Thank you for all the work you do!
Signature: Al

Four Spotted Pennant

Four Spotted Pennant

Dear Al,
Thanks for the compliment.  We agree with your identification of the Four Spotted Skimmer based on images posted to BugGuide, but we are not certain that the second individual is a female Widow Skimmer.  Often female Dragonflies have less obvious coloration and markings and they can be more difficult to identify.  We are posting your images and perhaps one of our readers will weigh in on an identification while we continue to research the matter.

Unidentified Dragonfly

Unidentified Dragonfly

Unidentified Dragonfly

Unidentified Dragonfly

Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia

One Response to Dragonflies

1. That One Snail Owner says:

Thanks for such a quick response! I wasn’t too sure about #2. I only turned up a similar dragonfly using google images. I’d love to know what it is! Hope someone can point me in the right direction!