Subject: guarding my house today
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Dearest bugman,
Thanks to you, I have become more of a friend to bugs.
This afternoon, there is a very giant fly with spotted wings guarding the back door to my house. She (I think it’s a she) is sitting right on the keyhole! Thankfully, I come in through the garage…I have a feeling it is a kind of horse fly but have never actually seen one. I’ve never seen a fly this big or one with markings on its wings. We are in Oshawa, Ontario and the day is sunny and windy but she would be out of the sun and wind where she is sitting right now. Didn’t even care that I took pictures and opened the door twice…I was hoping to see a luna moth one day and not so much this guy…
be well and keep up the awesome work!
Signature: Robin

Tiger Bee Fly

Tiger Bee Fly

Dear Robin,
Thank you so much for your kind compliments.  This distinctive fly is a Tiger Bee Fly, a species that parasitizes Carpenter Bees.  Unlike female Horse Flies that might bite humans, this Tiger Bee Fly poses no threat to you or your pets.

Dearest Daniel,
Thank you so much for your response and for enlightening me about my visitor. I am honoured to be hearing from the bugman himself! I actually have your book!
Passion is what makes life worth living and yours is obvious. To give of yourself and your time as you have for so many years is a most incredible testament to passion. Thank you for sharing that as you have and for teaching so many of us so very much.
Stay passionate,
Robin
ps – bibitte is the French word for bug – I’ve been driving a vw bug for 15 years…

I’m blushing.

Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

4 Responses to Tiger Bee Fly

1. Robin says:

Well – I just found one here in Hamilton – in our front den resting on the lamp shade!
    Thanks to your post I now know it’s harmless.
    My son and I had a bet – I said moth, he said some sort of bee.
    Thanks for the info.
    Cheers

2. Rene says:

Hi there, thank GOD for this site. I’ve had a horrible time with Carpenter Bees in the last few months. These giant flies are all over the place now, and I don’t see too many of the Carpenter Bees anymore. I’ve been scared to come in or out of my house, but now I know they are harmless to me!! Thank you!! 🙂 You saved the day. My son and I were also thinking some kind of moth, but I saw it up close today and it looked like a giant horse fly. Have a great day. Rene

3. Sylvianne says:

Hi! I’m so glad I got this info but unfortunately I killed one today 🙁 For the past couple days whenever I got out of my car with my kids this black “bee/fly” would fly right up to us in the car and would follow us! Scared of being bitten I finally tracked it down today and killed it with a fly swatter. I then analyzed it and took to google and found out what it was and what they do and it makes so much sense as we have a bad carpenter bee problem and where it was flying is where a lot of the carpenter bee holes are. My only question is, if they are harmless to humans why do they fly at you like the carpenter bees do? At least this was our experience.