Subject: Flying striped bodied moth?
Location: Central KY
A big bug was caught in an old web across our glass door. We watched all day as it struggled to get free. I took pictures so I could look it up. We are new to central KY, USA and I have never seen this bug in my life (I come from northern IN).
The wings were clear except for black lines. The body was large, round and striped a yellow and dark brown. A furry head topped it off with a hose type nose and large ovalish eyes. It was quite a specimen!
P.S. It eventually freed itself.
Signature: V

Horse Fly

Horse Fly

Dear V,
One can tell by the spacing between the eyes that this Horse Fly is a female.  Female Horse Flies bite and suck blood from vertebrates, especially mammals, while male Horse Flies do not bite and feed on nectar from flowers.  Based on matching images on BugGuide, we believe we have correctly identified your Horse Fly as
Tabanus sulcifrons.

Horse Fly

Horse Fly

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to reply!
I had the feeling it was a biting type of insect and told my son so.
I am so grateful for your letter!
Bless you,
V

Location: Kentucky

2 Responses to Female Horse Fly trapped in web

1. It struggled for no reason, in an old web? I set them free…it’s wonderful to help them and see them fly away.