Subject: cuckoo bee
Location: courtice ontario
Hi again
sending this pic but I am pretty sure it is a cuckoo bee.
Signature: terri

Cuckoo Bee

Cuckoo Leafcutter Bee

Hi Terri,
Thanks for sending us more wonderful images, and using our standard form makes things so much easier for us.  We went on BugGuide to verify your identification, and though we tried, we could not find any images that look quite like your Cuckoo Bee.  The position it is resting in is quite different from anything on we found, though the images of the members of the Tribe Epeolini on BugGuide are the closest visual match to your individual.  We wonder if perhaps your images were taken early in the morning after the Cuckoo Bee had spent the night inactive, and that the heat of the day had still not warmed it to the point of activity.  If possible, can you please cite the source that led to your original identification along with any relevant links?

Cuckoo Bee

Cuckoo Leafcutter Bee

Hi Daniel
I did not really know for sure a friend of mine who takes photos of insects as well said it was a cuckoo bee and I took his word for it.
It was very early in the morning the tend to sleep at the top of grass or sticks and they wake up slowly so they are easy to photograph.
There were here the month of june and july but I have not found any lately in the month of august.
I was lucky I could take the photo wait for the sun to rise enough until they become active. They clean themselves and take off  to start the  day.
Thanks so much Terri
I am sending a few more photos here so you can see how he hangs upright on the twig

Cuckoo Leafcutter Bee

Cuckoo Leafcutter Bee

Eric Eaton Confirms
Wow!  That is a female cuckoo leafcutter bee, Coelioxys sp.  Can’t tell more because I’m not sure how to identify these to species, or if it is even possible from images alone.  They are cleptoparasites of real leafcutter bees.
author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
http://bugeric.blogspot.com/

Cuckoo Leafcutter Bee

Cuckoo Leafcutter Bee

Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

2 Responses to Cuckoo Leafcutter Bee

1. This is Colioxys to me.