Subject: what in the world…
Location: i am in a small farm town, 60 miles west of chicgo, in Minooka, it’s August 7,2015 about 4:30 in the evening, and the weather is nice,no raim
Hi there, I live in Minooka , Illinois and right now it is about 81 degrees, no rain, today is August 7, 2015 and it is about 4:30 pm
My daughter saw this bug and came to me and said look….so I have taken a pretty good close up of it and we were wondering if you, the bug man,could please tell us what is it??? Thanks for your time, hope to hear from you soon
Signature: From Becca and her mommy

Mayfly Exuvia

Mayfly Exuvia

Dear Becca and her mommy,
Is there a body of water nearby?  This appears to be the exuvia of a Mayfly, the only insect to molt twice while in a winged form, so it is possible that this individual flew a short distance from the water, alighted on your highly reflective wooden wall, and molted, leaving behind the shed exoskeleton or exuvia.

Yes,I am right by a little river

Location: Minooka, Illinois

3 Responses to Mayfly Exuvia

1. Paula says:

YES!! Thank you bug man.. we have always had mayflies in New England, but clearly, very few of us have seen them as adults, or ever adult enough to shed during their second molt.. Yup, You ROCK!!
    Thank you again,
    Paula

2. Curious Girl says:

Okay, correct me if I am wrong, but the Mayflies only molt once as Adults, yes? Once from the larvae into an adult winged form (Dun form), and then the second molt into the full adult form (Spinner form). So only one molt as a winged “adult” entity. No?

But still the only insect to molt after achieving wings…

http://www.mayflynews.net/facts.html

You are correct. Mayfly naiads emerge from the water and molt into winged Duns and shortly afterwards, they molt a second time into full adults, which do not feed and only live a few days, hence the name of the order Ephemeroptera. This is a very curious double winged molting, and one can only wonder why the need to have two molts in rapid succession evolved. Molting occurs in insects because insects feed and grow and their exoskeleton does not grow with them. Once they leave the water, Mayflies no longer feed, so they no longer grow.