Subject: Recluse or Harmless?
Location: Antelope Valley, California
I found this big guy in my yard, polled my friends, half say it’s a brown recluse, half say it’s harmless… One guy said “it’s just a penny”…
I live in the high desert in Southern California, it’s super dry and hot. Help me out here!
Signature: -Roni

Male Crevice Weaver Spider, we believe

Male Crevice Weaver Spider, we believe

Hi Roni,
We are going to side with the half that say it is harmless.  Brown Recluse Spiders have a violin pattern on the cephalothorax .  Male Crevice Weaver Spiders in the genus
Kukulcania, including the male Southern House Spider, Kukulcania hibernalis, are frequently mistaken for Brown Recluse Spiders.  BugGuide only lists the Southern House Spider as far west as Texas, but a relative, Kukulcania geophila, is found in California and this image from BugGuide looks very similar to your individual.  Of the entire genus Kukulcania, BugGuide notes:  “Males look very similar to the Recluse spiders, except they have much longer pedipalps, eight eyes (not six as in the Recluse family), and very long front legs.”  Finally, according to BugGuide, the Brown Recluse Spider does not get as far west as California.

Location: Antelope Valley, California

2 Responses to Male Crevice Weaver Spider, we believe

1. tara says:

Um. I just want to inform you that brown recluse spiders are infact as far as california. I know this because two of my brothers were biten by brown recluse spiders when I was just a little kid. At that time the Drs had only seen about six cases of this spider bite. Both of my brothers nearly died. And i would also like to add that i dont know the original person posting the picture but i too live in the Antelope Valley. Born in av hospital. And when my brothers were biten we lived in palmdale.