Subject: Awesome bug
Location: Skopje, Macedonia
Hi, I live in Skopje, Macedonia – this photos were also mine: 2009/02/09/unknown-mantis-from-macedonia/ so I think you already know my location… 🙂 I found this bug in front of my door and what got me curious was the sound it was making when we tried to move it away from our dogs so they can’t hurt it. It sounded like it was complaining (really loudly for something so small). So, can you tell me what type of bug it is? Thanks and have a nice day…
Signature: Monika

Pine Chafer

Pine Chafer

Dear Monika,
This impressive Scarab Beetle is a Pine Chafer,
Polyphylla fullo, and according to Nature Spot:  “Stridulates loudly. Adults feed on pine needles; larvae feed on roots of sedges and grasses. The females deposit their eggs in the soil.”  Stridulation is a noise made by rubbing together body parts, and your description of the sound is quite accurate, at least compared to the stridulation we have heard from North American Ten Lined June Beetles.  The small antennae on your individual indicates it is a female, and this nice illustration on L’Arca di Noé illustrates the difference between the sexes.

Location: Skopje, Macedonia