Subject: Identification Needed!
Location: Hetauda, Central Region, Nepal
Hello Bugman,
I have this little creature that looks amazing, i have always found it living and feeding on Bitter Melon or Bitter Gourd leaves.
Now please give me name. Thank you very much.
Signature: Suman Acharya

Probably Tortoise Beetle Larva

Probably Tortoise Beetle Larva

Dear Suman,
Our initial web search did not produce any matching images while searching with the key word Nepal, but we believe, based on the similarity in appearance to other species from other locales that we have identified, that this is the larva of a Tortoise Beetle in the tribe Cassidini.  Here is an image of a North American individual from BugGuide.  The larvae of Tortoise Beetles are often quite spiny, they feed on leaves and they are often very host specific.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide some more specific information.

Probably Tortoise Beetle Larva

Probably Tortoise Beetle Larva

Probably Tortoise Beetle Larva

Probably Tortoise Beetle Larva

Location: Hetauda, Nepal

3 Responses to Probably Tortoise Beetle Larva from Nepal

1. Suman Acharya says:

Thank you very much…maybe it is…can you please tell me how long does it take them to grow adult?

Generally, the life cycle of most Leaf Beetles is a single year, so the larvae would mature in less than that time, possibly as little as four to six weeks.

2. Jane says:

Hi Suman, do you have plant-eating ladybirds (Epilachnini) in your area? This looks like the larva of Epilachnini in South Africa that I find eating Solanum species. The adults are not glossy but covered in very fine fuzz/hairs.