Subject: $15 donated – I going crazeeee
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Hi Bugman,
I just contributed $15 to help out your site – hope you can help me beyond ID-ing them maybe treatment destruction of them
I picked these two tiny MONSTERS off my ankle…tried to crush them NOPE
I drowned then so I could photograph them. They were underwater for 4 hours , I photographed them and then they jumped off the paper the cursED undead now in the house to taunt me.
I originally got bit by hordes of these and the itch continues after a month.
In the photos they look like two different species or maybe just in different stages of development.
I think they are no see ums as the bite marks look the same as depicted in photos.
I want to kill them and dont care about toxic as we have no pets and dont walk around barefoot – I just want them dead and anything else that crawls around without hurting plants & grass so I/we dont have to walk around with having to deal with Deet or different Citronella essential oil/vodka potions.
Someone recommended CedarCide as an all natural solution. I’d go broke as I have a large yard and apparently theres knock offs being sold.
Your HELP is greatly appreciated . Thank You
Alex Karas – Baltimore
Signature: Alex Karas

Flea we suppose

Flea we suppose

Dear Alex,
Thank you for your contribution.  We wish your image had more detail.  Our initial suspicion based on your description is that you are being bitten by Fleas.  You did not indicate if the insects came from outdoors or if you encountered them indoors nor did you indicate a size.  Fleas can be very hard to crush and our editorial staff has first hand experience being bitten on the ankles by dozens of hungry Fleas after a feral cat that had taken up residence under a rental unit we were living in had kittens and then got hit by a car and died.  It took months for the Flea population to diminish and we could not walk out onto the back porch without being swarmed.  Here is a good detailed image of a Flea from BugGuide.

Possibly a Flea

Possibly a Flea

Hey Daniel
Thx for the quick response. The two samples I provided  looked totally different. Yes,  nabbed  them outside / back yard.
The bite marks look like no see ums from google images. Itch ….geezs../..itching for the last month
The problem now is – I was sitting on the couch last night INSIDE when one jumped on my ankle… do the ‘bugs ‘ on the sample not look different.? They came off the same ankle attack played dead after a good drowning…is this the new mini series walking dead – fleas OR is that jumping dead ??? Are they different bugs or just different stage of development. I sprayed outside yesterday but that resolve the living room couch visitor.
I’ll see if I can get better images IF I havent eradicated them
The one inside is troubling as I dont know if it has family and eggs and reproduction and and and .
This is getting nasty
I greatly appreciate your opinions. Great website too BTW
Thank you
Alex

Hi again Alex,
The reason we think Fleas is that they are compressed laterally, so you could have a side view and a view from above.  Your entire description supports our suspicion that they are Fleas.  The BugGuide description is:  “body dark, laterally flattened, wingless; hind legs adapted for jumping; mouthparts adapted for piercing skin and sucking blood; row of large bristles often present on head and/or thorax (called genal and pronotal combs).”  BugGuide also notes:  “The Cat Flea commonly infests dogs, and the Dog Flea may infest cats; both species may bite humans.
…  Some fleas can jump 200 times their body length.”  Our personal experience is that the itchy bite lasts a very long time, often several weeks.

Location: Baltimore, Maryland