Subject: unknown pink colored bug
Location: Moorestown, NJ
This bug was found in my flower garden on 7/25/15. I am not sure what it is, but it “pops” similar to a click beetle and is about 1/4-1/2″ long. I have been unable to find any information in any of the books that I have and was wondering if you have any suggestions?
I really enjoy your website and have learned a lot from looking through the information found here. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Signature: Curious in NJ

Leafhopper Nymph

Leafhopper Nymph

Dear Curious in NJ,
Thanks for sending in the higher resolution images we requested.  This is a Leafhopper nymph, and immature individuals can be very difficult to identify with certainty.  We suspect based on its resemblance to this BugGuide image, that your individual may be an immature
Gyponana species.  This BugGuide image of Gyponana tenella is a strong candidate for your species.

Leafhopper Nymph

Leafhopper Nymph

Thank you very much for your time.  I really appreciate the information. My grandfather was an entomologist for many years and instilled a love of bugs in me as well.  I think the work you do on this website is really amazing!  Please keep the information available for all to find!
Thank you again,
Brenda Emmert

Location: Moorestown, New Jersey