Subject: This type of bug bit my 1yr old
Location: NJ
I am trying to find out what type of bug this is. It bit my 1yr old on the side of his head and he swelled up instantly and pretty severly. We took him to the doctor and they put him on antibiotics as a precaution.
Signature: Jeremy Lynch

PIcture Winged Fly

PIcture Winged Fly

Dear Jeremy,
We are surprised to learn that you suspect this Picture Winged Fly,
Delphinia picta, of biting your child.  Are you certain this is the culprit?  If you are correct, this is the first we have ever heard of a person being bitten by a Picture Winged Fly, though Eric Eaton once informed us that “if it has a mouth, it can bite.”  You can get additional information on the Picture Winged Fly at BugGuide.

Location: New Jersey

3 Responses to Picture Winged Fly reported to have bitten child

1. Stephanie says:

I was stung by a picture winged fly , I was in a walk , coming out of woods , the sting was very painful. It stung through my sock on my ankle bone. It became swollen, I had to soak my ankle in epson salts. 4 days later, it is still red and itchy .

2. Tina says:

I just killed one in my house and there was blood coming out of it on the paper towel I smashed it with so I’m having a hard time believing that they don’t bite. It would be nice if someone could confirm from the picture I took of it. If it’s something else that could be dangerous to my family I’d like to make sure we don’t get any more but those wings look really unique.

3. Lindsey says:

While mowing I had several keep biting my hand. I felt a slight pain and there it was so I swatted it away then a min later felt the pain again and there it was again. This happened several times. It was definitely a insect that looked similar to this. Black and white wings, black body. Wings in a triangular shaped position like.
    Now my hand is itching. Perhaps more research needs to be done on these.