Subject: Mystery Fishing Spider
Location: North Plainfield, New Jersey
This guy has been hanging out on my pool these past few days. It’s clearly some kind of fishing spider but I can’t figure out what species. From the markings, it doesn’t look quite like any of the more common local species. Any guesses?
Signature: LaSalamander

Grass Spider Walks on Water!!!

Grass Spider Walks on Water!!!

Dear LaSalamander,
Though it is walking on water, this is not a Fishing Spider, which explains why its markings look different.  Among Spiders, walking on water is not miraculous and species other than Fishing Spiders, including Wolf Spiders are able to walk on water because the spread of their legs helps to distribute the weight of the body.  The pronounced spinnerets at the tip of the abdomen are a factor in identifying this as a Grass Spider, possibly
 Agelenopsis pennsylvanica, one of the Funnel Weavers, which is pictured on BugGuide.

Grass Spider

Grass Spider

Thanks so much, Daniel! I wish I had something witty or something more meaningful to say, but that’s all I got. I’m happy to be schooled on the subject of Fishing and Not-So-Fishing Spiders. Hurray!
John

Location: North Plainfield, New Jersey

2 Responses to Grass Spider Walks on Water in New Jersey!!!

1. Do you think it’s harmless for people?