Subject: Funnel Web Spider
Location: Powell, Ohio
This not so little guy has taken up residence in the transom window over our front door. I got the best pictures I could, given the amount of webbing built up around him/her. I told my five year old that I thought it was called a funnel web spider, now she says, “hi tunnel spider, bye tunnel spider”, every time she walks through the foyer. Lol. Enjoy the pics of our tenant!
Signature: Amber

Funnel Web Spider

Funnel Web Spider

Dear Amber,
The distinctive spinnerets are clearly visible in your image of this Funnel Web Spider in the family Agelenidae. 

Location: Powell, Ohio

3 Responses to Funnel Web Spider

1. Pretty sure they are in No. California too. we have those webs and huge creepy spiders

2. Yvette says:

I’m looking at all of these spiders that are being called “funnel webs”, how can you get those in America? I killed a huge funnel web yesterday at the beach and was trying to see what sub-species it was that I killed but I thought the deadly funnel web was only native to Australia?

There can be confusion with common names. Funnel Web Spiders in the family Agelenidae are well represented in North America. They are not dangerous. Australian Funnel Web Spiders pictured on the Australian Museum site are from the family Hexathelidae and they are classified with Tarantulas and Trapdoor Spiders in the suborder Mygalomorphae.