Subject: What bug is this?
Location: Raspberry leaf
I found these on the back on a raspberry leaf from a plant I bought a few weeks ago. I’m guessing they’re stink bug babies, but not idea what type! Any help identifying them would be great. I’m located just outside of Bristol in the south-West of England
Signature: Lisa

Stink Bug Hatchlings

Stink Bug Hatchlings

Dear Lisa,
As you suspected, these are hatchling Stink Bugs, and they bear a striking resemblance to hatchling Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs,
Halyomorpha halys, which you can verify by comparing to this image on BugGuide. We are well aware of the rapid spread of this invasive Asian species in North America, but we did not know of any UK sightings, so we did some research.  According to a November 2014 posting on BBC News:  “An agricultural pest dubbed the stink bug could establish itself within the UK, according to a scientist.  Entomologist Max Barclay said it was ‘it is only a matter of time’ before the brown marmorated stink bug arrives in the country.  Two of the insects have already been found on imported timber headed for Britain.  The bug, which is native to the Far East, has already reached France and Germany.  Mr Barclay, from London’s Natural History Museum, told the Daily Mail newspaper: ‘I think the brown marmorated stink bug will establish a population here. It is only a matter of time.  It will make its presence felt fairly quickly because it comes into people’s homes in the autumn and winter.’  Its name comes from the putrid stench it releases from its glands when threatened.  The insect was first found in the US in the late 1990s, but has now spread across much of the country. Since then, it has become a severe pest of fruits, vegetables and ornamental plants.”  You might want to report this sighting to your local agricultural agency.  It is possible that the invasive Brown Marmorated Stink Bug eggs were on the raspberry plant when you purchased it, or it is also possible that they are already established, but passing unnoticed in your area.  It is also possible that this is a different species of Stink Bug.

Location: Bristol, UK

9 Responses to Probably Common Green Shield Bug Hatchlings

1. Curious Girl says:

Or, more likely these are the first instar of the Common Green Shield Bug (“Stink” Bug being reserved for the American version) which is actually common to the British Isles (and much of Europe — I have a picture of one in Stuttgart, Germany laying eggs).

http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Pentatomidae/palomena_prasina.html

When you hear hoofbeats, don’t think first of the zebra…

Thanks for providing a link Curious Girl.

• Curious Girl says:

No problem. Here’s another one supporting the Palomena prasina ID.

http://abugblog.blogspot.pt/2011/07/poisonous-bug-babies-cluster-together.html

• Curious Girl says:

And here is yet another (I promise, last one on this), with great pictures showing the European Green Shield Bug from egg to hatchling through several hours, and even days of first instars. Quite interesting. It shows the color changes well too.

http://www.uksafari.com/greenshieldbugs.htm

I cannot help it. I think the babies are adorable. And a lot of shield bugs are even beautiful to me (despite their destructiveness).

I discovered itty bitty, tiny rove beetles today. I had no idea…

• Curious Girl says:

And also just to mention that if not for you, I would not know what I do about various bugs because this is where I came, now several years ago when I was scared nearly witless by the house centipede that I didn’t even know existed in this world, until she nonchalantly strolled across my bed late one night. :^D

So we help each other. ;^)

And for all I know, that centipede is still alive, as are the several I’ve seen since.

2. Teri Gaul says:

I am a master gardener and I am helping to put together a beginning Entomology class to teach other Master Gardeners how to identify insects that are brought in to our clinics. I would like to ask for permission to use your photo of the Brown Marmorated stink bug eggs and nymphs above. They are a great example.
    Thank you \
    Teri Gau