Subject: Burrowing spider black/orange
Location: Albany, TX
I found this spider with a 1′ deep burrow in a dry rocky soils area. I am unsure what spider it is as I have never seen it before
Thanks so much!
Signature: Jonathan

Wolf Spider

Wolf Spider

Dear Jonathan,
This is one gorgeous and impressive Wolf Spider in the family Lycosidae, but we cannot be certain of the exact species.  We are leaning toward a member of the Burrowing Wolf Spider genus
Geolycosa which is well represented on BugGuide.  There is an image on the Arco Digital Images site from Wolfsspinne, Texas that looks very similar to your individual.  We also found a very entertaining posting on the Bugs In The News website from Harker Heights, Texas, and the author indicates that Geolycosa is a possible identification.  We would not discount the possibility that this is a member of the genus Hogna either.  Perhaps one of our readers can assist with this identification.

Wolf Spider

Wolf Spider

Location: Albany, Texas