Subject: Spider
Location: Rhode Island , USA
Is this a grass spider?
Signature: Kirsten

Nursery Web Spider with Egg Sac

Nursery Web Spider with Egg Sac

Dear Kirsten,
This is not a Grass Spider.  This pretty little lady is a Nursery Web Spider,
Pisaurina mira, and she is carrying her egg sac.  Nursery Web Spiders are harmless, and not aggressive except when defending their young.  The female Nursery Web Spider has very strong maternal instincts, and she carries her egg sac with her until she finds an appropriate place to leave it.  She then spins a nursery web and continues to guard the eggs and the young until they are ready to disperse.  Nursery Web Spiders are hunting spiders that do not build a web to snare prey.  The sole purpose of the web is for a nursery.

Nursery Web Spider with Egg Sac

Nursery Web Spider with Egg Sac

Hi Daniel!
Thank you so much for this information … Glad to know she is not aggressive despite her intimidating size. I did not kill her, but did gently relocate her with a garden rake( I really needed the length as I fear spiders) ,and she held on to her egg sac , into some woods behind my house. Hope she can find a nice place away from my chair lounger!
Kirsten

Location: Rhode Island