Subject: Huntsman Spider
Location: Barbados
Can you tell me if this is a Heteropoda venatoria?
I originally thought so, but certain aspects of its’ appearance don’t seem to match what would be expected for this species, having searched on the internet. It was pretty small (maybe an immature?) and was by the side of our pool in Barbados. Not the best picture in the world, but I hope you can help.
Signature: Dave

Possibly Lynx Spider

Possibly Lynx Spider

Dear Dave,
This is most definitely not a Huntsman Spider, and we believe it may be a Lynx Spider in the family
OxyopidaeBoth families are hunting spiders that do not build webs to snare prey.

Thanks Daniel,
Pretty wide of the mark, eh!
I’ve done some more research, but it seems that the eye arrangement is not typical of the family Oxyopidae (at least from what I can find, which isn’t a lot!), and the only species of the family in the West Indies would seem to be Oxypodes pallidus, about which I can find virtually nothing. It may be a case of ‘back to the drawing-board’ for me!
Thanks for your help
Dave

Hi again Dave,
We agree with you that the eye arrangement does not look like an exact match for the Lynx Spiders, but we have no other guesses at this time.

Location: Barbados