Subject: Giant “bee”?
Location: Westwood MA 02090
Found this rather Docile, Giant bee like bug today at my camp and could not identify.
About the length of my index finger (3″).
Much larger than a carpenter bee and someone thought it could be an invasive Asian Resin bee, but all pics look again, too small.
Both pics are the same bug.
Help!!
And thanks!
Signature: James R

Bee-Like Robber Fly

Bee-Like Robber Fly

Dear James,
Your confusion is understandable.  This is a Bee-Like Robber Fly in the genus
Laphria, most likely either Laphria virginica or Laphria flavicollis.  Of Laphria virginica, BugGuide states:  “Easy to confuse with L. flavicollis. The main gestalt things to look for are the hairiness of the black abdomen, very fuzzy in virginica but somewhat glossy in flavicollis. The golden hair on the top of the thorax looks more swept back and finely constructed in flavicollis. And in virginica, the legs have a reddish brown tone to the fuzz in good light.”

Location: Westwood, Massachusetts

2 Responses to Bee-Like Robber Fly

1. Ben Coulter says:

Cool! This is a teneral female Laphria grossa. In the northern part of its range, females often show a mostly black abdomen.