Ed. Note:  Because our previous posting of Elm Seed Bugs has received so many recent comments, we have decided to make the Elm Seed Bug our Bug of the Month for July 2015 and to post it live a few days early.

Subject: Invaders!
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
We have these little buggers that we seem to keep finding on the back end of our home near the windows. I found a nest of them underneath one of the blinds in our bedroom window. They dont appear to fly. They are about 1/4 inch long. What are they? Do they bite? How can we get rid of them? Thanks in advance…
Signature: -Loyal WTB fan for 5+ years

Elm Seed Bug

Elm Seed Bug

Dear Loyal WTB fan for 5+ years,
It appears that you have an Elm Seed Bug,
Arocatus melanocephalus, infestation, a nonnative species first reported in North America in Idaho in 2012.  As you must know, we do not provide extermination information, though we are sometimes freer when the species is invasive like the Elm Seed Bug.  There are currently numerous comments from readers on the first Elm Seed Bug posting in our archives, and you may find some help there.  According to Gemtek:  “Identification: Elm seed bugs are typically ⅓ inch long and are dark brown in color, with an abdomen that is reddish colored. Like a boxelder bug, their wings fold to form a thin X shape. Aside from color differences, elm seed and boxelder bugs look nearly identical.  Diet, Habitat, Life Cycle, and Habits:  Once again, elm seed bugs are similar to boxelder bugs in all of these aspects. A key difference is that elm seed bugs are primarily found on elm trees. They feed on elm seeds, but will also feed on and live in other types of trees. They are most visible in warmer weather and will create an unpleasant odor if crushed.”  According to BugGuide:  “Invade homes during the summer to escape heat, and then stick around through the winter … One generation per year and adults overwinter. Doesn’t pose a threat to trees, but may show up indoors in huge swarms.”

Elm Seed Bugs invade home.

Elm Seed Bugs invade home.

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

5 Responses to Bug of the Month July 2015: Elm Seed Bug Infestation in Utah

1. pat says:

Soapy water works great on the elm seed bug

2. I sure hope you can help me!!!!! I MOVED INTO THIS APARTMENT MAY 1ST SECTION 8 MY FIRST APT. SO THE NIGHT i MOVE IN ALL MY FURNITURE WAS BRAND NEW SO IM ARRANING THINGS . AND IT STARTS GETTING HOT I GO IN THE Bathroom to take off my shirt .and my stomach is coved in black little bugs i take pics take ashower go to emgency because i cant stop itching they say bed bugs and scabbies by this time im seeing bugs that look just like lice crawling yes i gotlice the resistants one .I GUESS BECAUSE HERE IT IS ALMOST 3 MONTHS LATER AND THEY GO AWAY BUT WITHIN TWO DAYS THERE BACK BUT THESE BURROW UNDER UR SCALP AND THEY ARE KINDA LONG WHITE AND THE GLUE THEY PRODUCE IS JUST LIKE CEAMMENT.SO BAD THAT AS YOU ARE TRYING TO REMOVE THEM IT ISLEAVING YOUR HAIR WHITE I HAVE TRYED EVERYTHING ON OVER THE COUNTER AND EVEN SOME THINGS FROM INDIA LIKE NEEM SOAP AND JASON TREE OIL SHAMPOO WITH NEEM COOKING OIL IN IT .AND I THINK THATS THE ONLY REASON THAT I HAVE KEPT ANY KIND OF HANDLE ON IT IF I HAVE A HANDLE ON IT THAT IS PLEASE HELP THEY COME CRAWLING UP THE SINK DRAIN WHY THEY HAVE NOT MOVED ME I WISH I KNEW THEY KEEEP SAYING THEY NEED MORE DOCUMENTATION I HAVE BEEN TO THE E.R. 3 TIMES DOCS SEVRAL MAYBE YOU WOULD KNOW WHO I MAY TALK TO BUT THE BUG PLEASE HELP IMHELPLESSSLY LOST WITH THIS

3. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT LOOKS LIKE LICE ACT LIKE LICE ARE LICE BUT SOMETHING ELSE THEY ALSO BURROW INTO UR SCALP THEY ARE LONG AND WHITE AND GUEWY AND THE GLUE THEY LEAVE BEHINE IS MORE LIKE CEMENT . AS YOU ARE TRYING TO GET IT OUT IT IS REFUSING TO COME OUT AND YOUR HAIR IS ALL WHITE MY HUSBAND HAS SHAVED HIS HEAD THE MIN IT GETS ASTUBLE THERE IS SOMETHING WHITE ALREADY ATTASCH TO IT PLEASE HELP LOST