Subject: Is this a House Centipede?
Location: Northern middle Tennessee
I found this critter in my kitchen today. Scared the you-know-what out of me. Let’s just say, the sucker had to die. But not before I got some good pictures of it so I could look it up to identify. It looks just like the House Centipede except the markings down it’s back is different and it is mostly black instead of brown. All the pictures I have come across show stripes going down the back of the centipede while this one looks like it has stripes going across. Is it just another variation of the House Centipede?
Signature: Dayna

House Centipede

House Centipede

Dear Dayna,
This is indeed a beneficial House Centipede and we are sorry to hear that “the sucker had to die.”  Your submission will be posting live to our site in the near future, while we are out of the office.

Location: Tennessee

5 Responses to House Centipede

1. Yep, creepy looking and fast, but beneficial. They don’t like light, but eat almost any other bug that can damage your home or you.

2. Omg those things are SO FAST!!! Had one in our house once. The next day I found it in the cats water dish.

3. I’ve had 2 in my house. Both scared me half to death. First was dead in my shower. Now I check my shower throughly before I get in.