Subject: Large Mothlike Fly
Location: Hidalgo County, New Mexico
Found this fly on a yucca and later on a mesquite in the middle of the desert. Later, when it had come in and landed on a mesquite, I got very close to inspect, and noticed its proboscis fully extended into the branch, as if it were drinking from the inside of the stem. It’s very large and quite peculiar, and I’d just like to know what it is. Thanks.
Signature: Daniel

Cicada

Cicada

This is a Cicada, and we are not certain of the species.  Cicadas are large insects, frequently mistaken for large flies, that are able to produce very audible sounds.  We are postdating your submission to go live while we are on holiday later in June.

Thanks! I new it wasn’t exactly a fly, but fly-like. I did some research of my own too and noticed cicadas don’t all have the periodical life cycle. This is probably a dog day type, given my location. Thanks again for the news!

Location: Hidalgo County, New Mexico