Subject: Weird Crawfish Cricket thing in northern Alabama
Location: North Central Alabama
Found this bug a year or two back and have been unable to find any info on it. Any help much appreciated.
Signature: James

Mole Cricket

Mole Cricket

Mole Cricket

I’ve seen mole crickets and it doesn’t look the same though. But thanks. I believe its some variation of one perhaps.

Hi again James,
This is certainly a Mole Cricket, and if it does not look like a Mole Cricket to you, perhaps you are confusing some other insect with Mole Crickets.  See BugGuide for images of Mole Crickets in the family Gryllotalpidae.  There are both winged and wingless species, and we are not proficient enough to be able to distinguish the various species, but your individual does look like this
Scapteriscus vicinus that is pictured on BugGuide.  We only post a small percentage of the identification requests we receive, though we do attempt to give short responses like our original reply to as many requests as possible.  We have decided to post your request after all, but we are postdating it to go live in the future while we are away from the office.

You are right. The ones I was told were mole crickets look a little different. Thanks

Location: Alabama

One Response to Mole Cricket

1. What a strange looking thing!