Subject: Wasp?
Location: Tokyo
June 10, 2015 6:25 am
Hello Bugman,
I’ve searching the internet for two hours trying to ID this bug but I can’t find it at all…
I found it in the playground where my 2 year old loves to play everyday but now Im not sure if I should let her play there anymore!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Signature: Paula

Clearwing Moth from Japan

Clearwing Moth from Japan

Dear Paula,
Though we have not been able to determine the species, this is a Clearwing Moth in the family Sesiidae, a family with many members that mimic stinging wasps as a defense.  This individual is not pictured in the Clearwing Moths of Japan pdf we located, and it also bears an uncanny resemblance to the female Peach Tree Borer,
Synanthedon exitiosa,  a species that is native to North America and an excellent example of pronounced sexual dimorphism.  We cannot at this time determine if this is a species native to Japan, or if the North American Peach Tree Borer has been accidentally introduced to Japan.  This moth poses no threat to your daughter.

Location: Tokyo, Japan