Subject: beetles
Location: southern BC, Canada
I am sending 2 pictures of 2 different beetles I have found in the last 2 days. The turquoise/yellow obe was on my peonies and the other one was in the grass.
Signature: Jessica

Ornate Checkered Beetle

Ornate Checkered Beetle

Dear Jessica,
Because your two beetles must be categorized differently, we are splitting our response into two distinct postings.  We are thrilled to be able to post your image of an Ornate Checkered Beetle,
Trichodes ornatus, which we identified on BugGuide.  The members of the family, according to BugGuide, are:  “predaceous on other insects, larvae mostly on wood- and cone-borers; some adults feed on pollen; a few species are scavengers.”  According to iNaturalist:  “Larvae live in bee nests of mostly Megachilidae family species[2] and are parasitic. While in the nest they feed on the bees’ larvae or pollen. When they mature into an adult they begin feeding on yarrow, milkweed, and other plants of yellow colouration. The species males are 5–11 millimetres (0.20–0.43 in) long while females are 7–15 millimetres (0.28–0.59 in).” 

Location: British Columbia, Canada