Subject: Long beetle shaped bug
Location: Ireland
Hi I found this bug in my bathroom and I can’t figure out what he is, you might even say it’s bugging me, if you’ll excuse the pun. Anyway I’d appreciate if you could identify, thanks xx
Signature: bugged out

Two Banded Longhorn

Two Banded Longhorn

Dear bugged out,
We quickly identified your Longicorn from the family Cerambycidae on Nature Spot as the Two Banded Longhorn,
Rhagium bifasciatum.  It is described as “A large species of longhorn beetle that may reach 22 millimetres long and can be distinguished by the two prominent pale yellow bands on each elytron” and the life history is described as “Like other longhorn beetles, R. bifasciatum lays its eggs in dead wood, often using coniferous trees, where they bore deep, broad tunnels until they are ready to pupate after about two years.”  According to Eakring Birds:  “Another fairly distinctive Longhorn beetle is Rhagium bifasciatum. The larvae develop under bark and we have found newly hatched adults in the early Spring, under Pine logs at Clipstone Old Quarter. The adults are commonly found on tree trunks and occasionally low vegetation. R. bifasciatum is a common beetle throughout the Sherwood Forest NNR.”

Location: Ireland