Subject: ID help
Location: Stamford, CT
Walking along a small river with a thin line of trees/shrubs on both sides in Stamford, CT on May 22, 2014, I saw this insect repeatedly on various tree and shrub leaves. There was no sign of leaf damage in the area of the insect. I was amazed by the length of the antennae – almost 2 times the body length.
Your help on ID would be appreciated!!
Signature: Patty

Black Winged Flying Insect

Black Dancer Caddisfly

Dear Patty,
We do not recognize your insect, but it looks to us like it might have an aquatic nymph.  We have contacted Eric Eaton for input and we will begun researching this after we finish cooking.

What's That Bug?  Caddisfly perhaps???

Black Dancer Caddisfly

Hi, Daniel:
This is a caddisfly called the “Black Dancer,” Mystacides sepulchralis.  The thick, leg-like things in front are actually the palps, part of its mouthparts.  They do not bite or anything, though.
author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
http://bugeric.blogspot.com/

Thanks Eric,
We thought it was probably a Caddisfly, but didn’t have the time to research it before requesting assistance.  According to BugGuide:  “Only two species of
Mystacides occur in the east and the other one has brownish wings. … Males have red eyes.”

Location: Stamford, Connecticut

2 Responses to Black Dancer Caddisfly