Subject: Stick insect?
Location: Berkeley, California
I found this on the kitchen floor. It must have come in on a bouquet of alstromeria which were grown in an organic garden in another county because I see fras on the table under the vase. I’d like to know what it is, what it eats and if I could release it outside. I have it in a jar with some greens but it’s not happy. Thanks!
Signature: Carla

Walkingstick

Walkingstick

Dear Carla,
You are correct that this is a Walkingstick or Stick Insect in the order Phasmida, but we are unable to provide you with any information on its specific identification.  We cannot say for certain if it is native or introduced as many exotic Phasmids are kept as pets and sold in pet stores.  We cannot say for certain if it is the same as any individuals pictured on CalPhotos many of which are not identified. We would urge you to take it to your local natural history museum to get a quicker identification, but our readership may weigh in with information.

Walkingstick

Walkingstick

Location: Berkeley, California