Subject: Omg
Location: Belleville , Illinois
I’m just curious about what this is? Should I be worried about a bite from one? I’m finding them at work thank god… Never seen them in my house.
Signature: Omg

House Centipede

House Centipede

Dear Omg,
This is a House Centipede, a predator that is frequently found inside the home.  We maintain that they are harmless, and though they contain venom, and though it is possible that a large specimen might be able to bite a human, especially one with thin or tender skin, we agree with the literature that they are not considered to be a dangerous species.  It is our opinion that House Centipedes are beneficial predators that will help rid the home of Cockroaches and other undesirable intruders.  As an aside, just yesterday while watching CNN we learned that the initials OMG have been used for years by the FBI to refer to Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs.

Thanks for getting back with me. I never kill them and put them outside when I find them. Glad I do.

Because of your behavior, we will tag this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.

Location: Belleville, Illinois

11 Responses to House Centipede

1. I used to hate these things. Then I heard they might eat bedbug eggs. We are now BFFs.

2. I’m impressed she caught it. Those things are FAST. We saw one in our house once. The next morning we found it drowned in the cats’ water dish.

3. I love how clean my house smells after I drown one of these fuckers with an entire bottle of windex.

4. I wish you guys were more active! I love your site!

5. Jeanette says:

I take these outside and find the easiest way to do that is to gently nudge them with a broom until they are in the bristles then quickly take outside. Small ones can be put into a curved vase (they can’t get out) and brought outside but the large ones are hard to get into any container that they can’t get out of quickly (and without injuring their legs). I found a huge one the other day and got it out easily with the broom.

6. These guys are fantastic! I had them in the old garage and they kept a bunch of the damaging insects at bay. If you find them in your house it means that you have other insects for them to eat inside.