Subject: Beetle in House in Ohio
Location: Western Ohio
Recently this big has been popping up primarily in our bedroom and bathroom on the southeast side of our house. We found some dead ones in our closet but the rest have been pretty random. We find maybe 1-3 a day. They have a hard shell. They have been found crawling across the carpet, under a pillow on the bed, and in the sink. My husband put one in water and they don’t seem to mind it. They play dead as well. Are these guys something we should be concerned about?
Signature: Tiffany

Click Beetle

Click Beetle

Dear Tiffany,
Based on images posted to BugGuide, this looks like a harmless Click Beetle in the genus
Aeolus.  We don’t know why they are entering your home unless they are attracted to lights.  According to BugGuide:  “adults in grasslands, fields, gardens; larvae live in the soil” and “larvae may be a minor pest of corn and potatoes.”  Do you live near a cornfield?

We live on the edge of a suburb, but there are fields within a mile or so of us. They don’t seem to bother us and we aren’t being swarmed by them so I guess we won’t let it concern us too much! Thanks for the identification 🙂
Tiffany Kohler

Location: Western Ohio

2 Responses to Click Beetle

1. I dont think they are harmfull, still you could check in some pest inspectors blogs 🙂

best

2. MY FRIEND AND I ARE HAVING A BIG PROBLEM WITH THESE BUGS . PLEASE HELP US? THESE FAST FUCKS ARE MESSING UP OUR WHOLE LIFE. ANYWAYS…….MY WHOLE LIFE. THESE SO CALLED NICE CREATURE, ARE ITCHING MY FACE TO DEATH. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO.I USE LOTION AND THAT PINK STUFF FOR RASH….N.O.T.H.I.N.G.??????? WHAT THE HELL!!! CAN SOMEONE WRITE ME BACK ….VERY…SOOOOOONN,PLEASE..MY MAN DOES NOT BELIEVE ME AT ALL .HE THINK I AM LYING .SO ,I WILL BE RIGHT HERE BY THE NET UNTIL I GET A REPLY ,ON HOW TO CLEAR MY FACE UP??