Subject: What is this bug?
Location: Suffolk, Virginia
These little bugs are all over my deck, and the willow tree nearby. What are they, and how can I get rid of them?
Signature: Robin Moore

Cottonwood Leaf Beetle Larva

Cottonwood Leaf Beetle Larva

Dear Robin,
You are being troubled by Cottonwood Leaf Beetle Larvae,
Chrysomela scripta, and according to BugGuide, it:  “used to be considered a pest when willows were grown commercially for baskets, now of little economic consequence.”  Featured Creatures has a very nice page on this species where it states:  “The cottonwood leaf beetle, Chrysomela scripta Fabricius, is one of the most economically-important pests of managed cottonwood, aspen and some poplar and willow species. Although it does not present a serious pest problem in forests, often it is a severe pest of urban ornamental trees. This leaf feeder has several generations each year, may cause extensive leaf loss, and can consequently reduce stem volume up to 70% (Coyle et al. 2005).”

Cottonwood Leaf Beetle Larvae

Cottonwood Leaf Beetle Larvae

Location: Suffolk, Virginia