Subject: Giant grub
Location: Foster, Rhode Island
I found a two-inch grub digging out an old oak stump in early April, incubated in a jar on the counter for a few weeks (where it grew an impressive two inches) and put it back outside a few days ago. Any clues as to what it might be? I thought about keeping it inside until it hatched but I wasn’t sure I could keep the conditions correct and didn’t want to kill it.
Signature: Earthworm

Root Borer Grub

Root Borer Grub

Dear Earthworm,
This is the grub of a Root Borer in the subfamily Prioninae, but alas we are unable to provide a genus or species.  See this BugGuide posting for a similar image.

Location: Foster, Rhode Island

3 Responses to Root Borer Grub

1. Robert Yates says:

I’m chopping up a rotting maple that fell in my back yard this summer. Today, I discovered some grubs that looked like the Michelin Man. What a cow! Since this site doesn’t endorse extermination, I promise not to eat any.
    This Ivan damaged tree is host to a number of insects including termites, so it’s time to get rid of it.