Subject: black and white bug
Location: Louisiana
I saw this bug outside of my house i thought it was a really awesome moth but i got closer and now i dont know what it is. It is really awesome looking.
Signature: -Mir

Giant Leopard Moth

Giant Leopard Moth

Dear Mir,
You encountered and Eyed Tiger Moth or Giant Leopard Moth,
Hypercompe scribonia.

Location: Louisiana

4 Responses to Giant Leopard Moth

1. 1stproject16 says:

I found a large, black wooly worm-like caterpillar on my driveway a couple of weeks ago.
    I fed it, and it pupated for me in a glass jar. The moth just emerged, it is a giant leopard moth, just like the picture! So beautiful!

Josiah from PA

2. lexi_and_haley0406 says:

We found this bug outside a Lugnuts Stadium and it was very cool…..it had a lot of people interested, it got me the most because I was like “um…did we just discover like a rare bug?” -lexi,haley- Butt booty -amy-

3. hoty says:

i found a leopard ” wooly ” caterpillar under a heuchera plant in october. I live in yardley pa. I kept him in a small terrarium., fed him various leaves found around my yard, and today ( 2/11/18 ) he emerged. unfortunately., it’s too cold to release him. i wish he could finish his life cycle but glad i got to see him. he’s really gorgeous.