Subject: Interesting Photos/Identification Potentially
Location: Longmont, CO
I took these photos a while back (July 29, 2013) and think it was potentially the coolest bug I have encountered, since it was just so huge! This particular critter was found in Longmont, Colorado (very close to Boulder).
Can you tell me more about it? I believe when I looked around at the time, it said it was a tomato moth? Also just wanted to share with your other readers! I know the second one is blurry, but it allows for size comparison since I had my finger in the shot.
Thanks for what you do!
Signature: Claire

Big Poplar Sphinx

Big Poplar Sphinx

Dear Claire,
Your moth is not a Tomato Moth, which we presume is your memory of the Tomato Hornworm, the larva of the Five Spotted Hawkmoth,
Manduca quinquemaculatus, though your moth is in the same family, hence it bears a physical resemblance to other members of the family.  Your Big Poplar Sphinx, Pachysphinx occidentalis, is stunning, and you may read more about it on the Sphingidae of the Americas site.

Big Poplar Sphinx

Big Poplar Sphinx

Thanks so much! I really enjoy every post on your site, and feel happy to be a small part of it!
Claire

Location: Longmont, Colorado