Subject: Earwig Species
Location: Florida
I found this bug at work inside our office the other day. I immediately recognized it as an earwig but it definitively wasn’t a typical one you see everywhere. It was a lot larger and it had very distinct coloring. I tried to identify it online but the closest image I got was tawny earwig but I was still not 100% positive on that identification. Hopefully you will have a better idea of what this exactly is. I live in Florida but we do get a lot of packaging from China so it’s good to keep that in mind as well (previous employees got a scorpion with one of the shipments). Hopefully this will be enough information to ID the species. Thank you.
Signature: Ivana

Shore Earwig

Shore Earwig

Dear Ivana,
We believe we have matched your image to an image of a male Shore Earwig,
Labidura riparia, that is posted to BugGuide.  According to BugGuide, it is:  “Cosmopolitan; introduced in NA, occurs across the southern states” and the habitat is:  “Coastal/riparian (along margins of various water bodies).”  Finally BugGuide notes that the Shore Earwig:  “Preys on various invertebrates, but may occasionally switch to plant material.”

Thank you for the quick responce. That is definitively a match. Very cool species!

Location: Florida