Subject: periodical cidacas
Location: Jackson, TN USA
Just sharing. Our big tree is a hatching ground for brood XXIII this year (At least due to our location I think they are 13 year and not 17 year periodicals). I’ve been out every night and have seen a handful each time. Last night looked like a scene from a horror flick if you looked over your head there were more cicadas than leaves. It was raining bugs under that tree. Bats were dive bombing past us and scooping them off the trunk. The ground and trunk were literally crawling as 100’s if not 1000’s of them were headed to molt. We caught some video last night. I snapped some pics this am and figured I would share some of the various stages of them molting.
Love your page!
Signature: Jess

Thirteen Year Cicada

Thirteen Year Cicada

Dear Jess,
We are positively thrilled by your submission, and we will be featuring your images to document this Brood XXIII emergence of 13 Year Cicadas.  As you have indicated, Periodical Cicadas are divided into two main groups, those that remain underground for 17 years and those that remain underground for 13 years, and the latter are found in more southern states.  Additionally, populations are further divided into broods based on the years they emerge and the locations of those broods.  To further complicate matters, some individuals emerge earlier or later, and if those individuals encounter favorable conditions, new broods may eventually result.  According to Magicicada.org, Brood XXIII is known as “The Lower Mississippi Valley Brood.”  According to the Brood page on Magicicada.Org, your Brood XXIII individuals are right on schedule.  According to Cicada Mania:  “As of May 10th, it would appear that the emergence has begun in Louisiana and Tennessee as well.  The 2015 Brood XXIII emergence has begun! ”  Cicada Mania also notes:  “The cicada species that will emerge are
Magicicada tredecim (Walsh and Riley, 1868); Magicicada neotredecim Marshall and Cooley, 2000; Magicicada tredecassini Alexander and Moore, 1962; and Magicicada tredecula Alexander and Moore, 1962. These periodical cicadas have a 13-year life cycle. The last time they emerged was 2002. According to John Cooley of Magicicada.org, Giant City State Park, Illinois is a good place to observe both M. tredecim and M. neotredecim.”   

Periodical Cicada:  Brood XXIII Molting

Periodical Cicada: Brood XXIII Molting

Periodical Cicadas:  Brood XXIII Emergance

Periodical Cicadas: Brood XXIII Emergence

Location: Jackson, Tennessee

2 Responses to Periodical Cicadas: Brood XXIII emerging in Tennessee

1. Jess says:

I’m glad you enjoyed them. Everyone looks at me strange since I’m so excited about these bugs. I figured you folks would appreciate them. I am so thrilled that my new home has a massive population of periodicals to watch. If you would like any more pics please let me know. We also have some video but it’s not great as our camera is not great at night. I can’t wait until they start calling.