Subject: Huge black funnel web spider need identification
Location: Tumbaco, Ecuador
This pretty spider lives outside my brother’s house (came with the house). She’s black and the size of his hand (+_ 8 in / 20 cm). He tried getting it identified with no luck. Any help identifying what type is highly appreciated and welcome! They call her “viper” and she’s the guardian dog 😉
PS: I was told it could be in the Dipluridae family, either a Diplura or Linothele. It looks a lot like the spanish funnel web spider except it’s 3 times larger…
Signature: buglady

Large Spider

Unknown Tarantula

Dear buglady,
The size you have stated seems to indicate a Tarantula.  Those spinnerets at the end of the abdomen are impressively long, and that is probably going to be a significant indication of the proper identification, though this image of an Ecuadorean Tarantula with long spinnerets from our archive has never been properly identified.  A close-up of the eye pattern would also be of tremendous assistance.
  Unless we hear otherwise, we are going to speculate that this is some species of Tarantula.  According to the American Museum of Natural History, the family Dipluridae is classified with the Mgyalomorphs, primitive spiders that include Tarantulas and Trapdoor Spiders.  Tarantulas can live for many years, so Viper may be with your brother for a long time.

Thanks for the information I love your site 🙂
I’ll try to get my brother to get a close up of the eye pattern but I’m not sure he’ll be up to it as he is quite intimidated by it…
The image of the unidentified tarantula looks like a Linothele Megatheloides:
http://www.dipluridae.de/wiki/index.php/Linothele_megatheloides
Cheers!

Location: Tumbaco, Ecuador