Location: Golfito, Costa Rica
Found this rustling in our bathroom last night. It was about 4-5 inches long. It didn’t move fast. We live in Golfito, Costa Rica. We do get our fair share of regular ol’ cockroaches but have never seen one like this. I posted this on FaceBook and people have identified as a Giant Cockroach – yes, it was.
Any other thoughts?
Thank you.
Signature: Golfito

Cockroach

Giant Cockroach

Dear Golfito,
We found a matching image on Junglewalk called a Costa Rica Wood Cockroach, but no scientific name.
  Same scenario with an image on PBase.  We found it identified as Archimandrita tessellata on Travel Images.  It is called a Peppered Roach or Giant Cockroach on UniProt.

Thank you WTB. I had sent another request for identification months ago. I never received a response. I realize you receive many requests, therefore, I thank you for this one.
I will share it with the other Golfito bug loves.

Location: Golfito, Costa Rica

5 Responses to Giant Cockroach from Costa Rica

1. Costa Rica, bug capital of the Americas.

2. Maybe, you can teach them tricks.

3. Jennifer Warren says:

Hi,we encountered these as well while in Costa Rica. My sister owns a vacation home there. The locals call them bat guano cockroaches. Grow up to 5″ and yes,they eat bat guano. Nasty! Usually live in caves or dark places where there are bats. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eublaberus_distanti

4. Crystal says:

Thanks for the identification! I just found one myself here in the Jaco area. Ewwww. I pet it with a stick and it didn’t move. It’s legs are all tucked in and it is still so the EEEK factor is low…for now.