Subject: Unknown insect
Location: Southern Ohio
Greetings!
I was roving through the pasture with my Nikon and I caught this little guy. He was small and I had never seen one before. No idea what it was but it eventually unveiled its wings and flew off. I’d like to know what it was just to appease my curiosity.
Signature: Tyler

Large Milkweed Bug

Large Milkweed Bug

Hi Tyler,
Generally identification requests we receive are recent sightings, but occasionally we receive images taken in previous years.  We are curious if this is a recent sighting.  Your insect is a Large Milkweed Bug
Oncopeltus fasciatus, and according to BugGuide, they are found:  “y[ea]r round in CA, TX, FL, otherwise mostly in late summer and fall” and “Adults overwinter.”  BugGuide further elaborates:  “They can’t survive cold winters, so they migrate south in the fall and overwinter in southern states.”  Ohio, even southern Ohio, is not considered a southern state, and though there is much talk of global warming, it is understanding that Ohio had a particularly severe winter.  We can’t help but to wonder if this individual overwintered and was observed this spring, or if it was seen in a previous year.

This was taken last year in the summer
Tyler Hickey

Thanks for the clarification.

No thank you! This is my first time using this service and I think what you guys do is wonderful and I plan to use it again. Here’s a little sketch I did of our friend.
Best,
Tyler Hickey

Sketch of Large Milkweed Bug

Sketch of Large Milkweed Bug

Dear Tyler,
We have added your beautiful sketch to the posting of your Large Milkweed Bug.

Location: Southern Ohio