Subject: Smurfapillar?
Location: San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
I found this bright blue little guy in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. I tried to look him up online, and couldn’t seem to find anything remotely similar. He was crawling on the ground in a high desert area where I was walking my dog and taking pictures of Prickly Pear blossoms. The area had been fired, to kill weeds and pests, probably in January or February. The grasses and weeds are coming back pretty well, now, but there’s still a lot of ash and charred ground. I took a bunch of photos, but the guy was moving at a good clip…head and tail going like crazy.
Thanks for your time!
Signature: Tabitha

Unknown Blue Caterpillar

Unknown Blue Caterpillar

Dear Tabitha,
Like you, we were unable to locate any images of blue caterpillars from Mexico.  We believe this is a moth caterpillar.  Perhaps one of our readers will have more luck than we have had regarding an identity.

3 Responses to Unknown Blue Caterpillar from Mexico

1. Kerri says:

I saw a blue caterpillar which looked just like this one while hiking this morning at Red Rock Canyon Open Space in Colorado Springs. Now I wish I had photographed it.

2. annette says:

I don’t know either but just found one in my backyard in Phoenix area.

3. Emily Schuyler says:

I found one hiking in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque. (High Desert)