Subject: Scarabs in Chicago?!
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
These grubs were inside of a dying silver maple. Found in the middle amongst wood pulp and poop. We live just north of the Windy City. I figured it was some kind of rhino or tricerotops beetle.
Signature: Jim Griesenauer

Scarab Beetle Grubs

Scarab Beetle Grubs

Dear Jim,
We agree with your assessment that these Scarab Beetle Grubs are in the subfamily Dynastinae, the Rhinoceros Beetles.  In our opinion, they probably began feeding on the rotting portion of the dying tree because we do not believe that the grubs were responsible for the tree’s demise.  Thanks for including the images of the children because they provide a nice sense of scale for these large grubs.  We suspect that large Scarab grubs are considered edible by entomophages, so we will attempt to contact David Gracer (see Huffington Post Food Blog) for his opinion.

Scarab Beetle Grubs

Scarab Beetle Grubs

Scarab Beetle Grubs with Children for scale

Location: Chicago, Illinois

6 Responses to Scarab Grubs found in dying tree

1. Emma says:

They remind me of witchetty grubs! I watched my Dad eat a witchetty grub once. 🙂

2. Beetle man says:

Some of those look to be rose chafers or hermit beetle larvae and some look like Ox beetle larvae.

3. Mike says:

Pink grub with a tail eating inside a hollowed maple tree