Subject: Hard Shelled, Flightless Beetle
Location: 3 hours North-east of Alice Springs
I have found this beetle three hours North-east of Alice Springs trying to burrow into the sand. He’s dark brown and has a really hard shell and when I tapped him with my finger he stuck his bottom up in the air with his head on the ground as if trying to scare me off with the small spikes on his back. He’s got antennas and six legs with really grippy ‘claws’. I was also wondering (for if you can find out what type of beetle he is) If you knew what he eats and how to look after him properly. I don’t know how to attach a photo to the website so if I could get an email address to send the photo to you, That would be really good. I’ve called him ‘Bob’ for now.
Signature: Thanks, B McKnight

Weevil

Weevil

Dear B McKnight,
This is some species of Weevil, and we found a similar looking, but not identical individual from Alice Springs pictured on LirraLirra.  Another similar looking individual is pictured on Nature’s Windows, Photos of the Month, and it is identified as
Leptopius areolatus, but though it looks similar to your individual, we do not believe it is the same species, but possibly in the same genus.  Other similar looking Weevils in the genus Leptopius are pictured on FlickRiver.  Another similar looking member of the genus is represented by this image on FlickR.

Weevil

Weevil

Location: Alice Springs, Australia