Subject: Glowworm Colorado
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Hi! I just moved to Grand Junction, CO. We were enjoying a BBQ and noticed our neighbor’s tree is glowing. I am going to head over there tomorrow to see if I can find the cause.
Signature: Kat

Glowing Glowworms or Christmas Tree Lights???

Dear Kat,
We can’t help but to wonder if recent changes in the status of controlled substances in Colorado have in any way affected your perception of reality and the world around you.  Have you entertained that these might be Christmas Tree lights and not glowing Glowworms?

Location: Grand Junction, Colorado

11 Responses to Glowworms or Christmas Tree Lights???

1. Daniel Weaver says:

Experienced the same thing last night in Virginia Beach, VA. Dozens of them, mostly green, but some red. No controlled substances involved.

2. Jeanette says:

Whoa, we thought there were aliens in our trees! We are in the mountains of southern California–the pine trees look like there are stars in them. But, only in our yard! Guess we have this infestation.

3. Zac says:

I just found this thread after seeing the same thing in my white oak tree in mobile Alabama! About 2 dozen green and one red.

4. Elaine says:

Wow, so glad to find this site! We live in Columbia , MS, and this is December 21, 2016. For the last week, after a warm wet spell, we noticed our sweet gum tree sparkling abundantly at night as if there were twinkle lights in it! It has been a week now and every night it’s a light show! I have been searching and searching as to what this might be and finally stumbled upon a description of a glow worm or railroad worm…..it’s beautiful and a gift from nature!

5. Seth says:

I saw the same thing last night. Are they glow worms? Or beetles?

6. Carrie says:

We have Gloworms as well! We are in Longwood, FL (in the Orlando metro area). We noticed them one morning and thought they were weirdly placed Christmas lights as they spanned across our trees in the backyard, over to our two of our other neighbors. But they are a faint, green color. Some brighter than others. Even when we put a flashlight on them, they stayed glowing. Strangest thing!!

7. Daniel Weaver says:

We were able to solve this issue, at least for us. When we noticed that e “bugs” this year we had been fortunate to see a similar phenomenon at a friend’s house. Theirs were caused by their newly installed Christmas laser lights. The light from the device spilled over from the front of the house onto the trees behind their home. Do, when we saw lights in our trees, I hopped in the car and took a ride around the neighborhood and found my neighbor behind me had installed similar devices achieving the same effect.

8. HoneyBB says:

My husband, daughter, and I are camping at hickory run state park in carbon county Pennsylvania and last night we witnessed the green glowing light show on the leaves of two trees on one side of the camper. We could see some type of worm, caterpillar, larvae like bugs (we couldn’t tell which) on the top side of the leaves almost strobing the green lights. It’s absolutely an amazing sight to ever witness. We both are born and raised in northeast pa, huge outdoors type people, And neither of us have ever seen such an amazing sight.
    Anyone know what these bugs are? My husband and I would love to find out about these bugs.

9. We have these too in Escondido, CA right now (Jan 19, 2018)! I have never seen such an amazing sight and we have lived in this house for 9 years. It must be rare because noone else I’ve shown has ever seen them before. They are mostly green and a few red ones.

10. Rierie says:

I’m glad I stumbled across this site, because my mom and I were so confused by seeing the mostly green lights with some red going back and forth and up and down one of her huge trees in the backyard.

We kept wondering if it was the reflection of the neighbors Christmas lights, the lights are everywhere in the tree and there’s an elevation difference – along with privacy fence and shed blocking the way. It’s been so cold, so I didn’t think it was any type of bug. I took photos and video, but I can’t attach anything.

11. Bianca says:

Glad we found this thread. I have found the same green things in our trees tonight. My Son also looked (just to make sure it wasn’t my eyes after a red wine!!) and he confirmed I am definitely not seeing things. There aren’t any Christmas lights or reflections going onto the trees, they are in a dark area of the garden. The trees are a mix of pine and another tree. We are in a seaside town of southern England. Any knowledge would be appreciated, thank you.