Subject: Eggy Weggs
Location: Los Ranchos De Albuquerque, NM
I recently planted a Harry Lauder’s Walking Stick in my back yard. While watering it this evening my wife pointed out these seven white eggs and I was wondering if they will hatch into something that wants to eat my little tree. I am hoping it will turn out to be something carnivorous that would help eat all of the aphids in our yard instead. Please advise, Bugman.
Signature: Ethan Firestone

Katydid Eggs

Katydid Eggs

Dear Ethan,
It sounds like you love your garden very much, and any gardener knows that a lush garden provides habitat for many native species, including butterflies, birds and many other creatures.  A pesticide free garden provides much more diversity than one in which the caretaker uses chemicals to help control insect populations.  These are the eggs of a Katydid, and though Katydids will eat the leaves of plants, they are actually quite welcome in our own garden.  Katydids are sound producing insects that help contribute to the orchestra of night noises, and though they eat leaves, no permanent damage is done to the plants as they are solitary feeders that you are more likely to hear than to see as they are so well camouflaged.

Location: Los Ranchos De Albuquerque, New Mexico