Subject: What is my little buddy?
Location: Rock Hill NY
Hello, I just discovered this website and I love it! I’m hoping you can help me figure out what my new little friend is. Yesterday my sister was complaining that a bee was stuck in her window so I went to go free it (I’m pretty sure it was actually a wasp) but I also noticed a tiny green spider in her window too, sitting right on the screen! I watched some kind of fly get caught in a small barely visible web, and little green friend casually walked over and started feeding! My sister has a lethal prejudice against anyone with too many legs so they couldn’t stay there. While my little friend fed, I removed the window screen (with them on it) and put it in my own window. Now they’re safe and enjoying the gnats that hang out around my house plants near by. It’s newly spring here after a long winter. I’ve never seen anyone like this before. I think they have transparent hair on their legs but they’re so small its difficult to see. When I shine a fla shlight there appears to be some gold along the center of the orange stripe. Eight teeny tiny black eyes. Gooey looking fangs. Walks slowly sometimes but mostly stays in one spot. All together probably the size of a dime.
I’m sorry about the image quality, all I have right now is my iphone. If they hang out for a while I’ll try to update with better pictures. Thank you so much 🙂
Signature: Jocelyn

Long-Jawed Orbweaver

Long-Jawed Orbweaver

Dear Jocelyn,
This little beauty is a Long-Jawed Orbweaver,
Tetragnatha viridis, and we quickly identified it on BugGuide.  We were totally charmed by your email and we are awarding you the Bug Humanitarian Award for your kindness to this harmless spider.  Out of curiosity, how many legs are too many?

Location: Rock Hill, New York

2 Responses to Long Jawed Orbweaver

1. Jocelyn says:

In my opinion, one can never have too many legs. Some people are intimated by those with more than 4 but I think they’re just jealous. 🙂