Subject: caterpillar?
Location: Jacksonville Fl
My mom found this caterpillar and was wondering what it turned into, it was found on the banks of the St. Johns river just south of Jacksonville Florida today.
Signature: Josh

Bald Cypress Sphinx Caterpillar

Cypress Sphinx Caterpillar

Dear Josh,
We are very excited about your submission.  We quickly identified your Hornworm as a Cypress Sphinx Caterpillar,
Isoparce cupressi, thanks to some excellent images on the Sphingidae of the Americas site where it states:  “the rare Cypress Sphinx (Wing span: 2 3/8 – 2 9/16 inches (6 – 6.5 cm)), flies in Cypress swamps in Georgia (specimen type locality), and from Maryland to Texas. It has been reported in Mexico.  This species is threatened due to destruction of habitat.”  We are copying Bill Oehlke who runs that site and we hope you will also grant him permission to post your image.

Location: Jacksonville, Florida

2 Responses to Cypress Sphinx Caterpillar: Rare Sighting

1. MYra Sherriff says:

The larvae I have seen in yard are different looking from those in pictures. It is definitely a horned Sphinx of some type but I don’t know what it feeds on. We have two miniature citrus trees in back yard. Can I send a picture to someone