Subject: unknown Longhorn beetle
Location: Central Kalahari, Botswana
April 9, 2015 3:02 am
Hey 🙂
I have been looking through the forum and the web in search for an ID to these two species. Both of them showed up on the ground in our camp in Central Kalahari. The surroundings are pretty much dominated by different Acacia trees/bushes, however Silver Cluster-leaf (Terminalia sericea) is more abundant just around the camp.
I am collecting all different kind of insects around the farm area where our camp is stationed, to make a species list and show room of the insects you can espect to find during your stay.
It will be a huge help If you can help me out 🙂
There are pictures of two different species of Longhorn beetles.
Signature: Mathias

Unknown Longicorn #1

Unknown Longicorn may be Pycnopsis brachyptera obsoleta

Dear Mathias,
We did an internet search and we were not able to determine the identity of your Longicorns, so we are posting them as unidentified in the hope that we will eventually be able to provide you with an answer.

Unknown Longicorn #2

Longicorn #2:  Titoceres jaspideus

Update: We just received a comment that these may be Pycnopsis brachyptera obsoleta based on this FlickR image and Titoceres jaspideus which is pictured on iSpot.

Location: Botswana

3 Responses to Two Unknown Longicorns from Botswana

1. Riana bate says:

Hi Mathias
    could you please give a size (approx) of the first longhorn
    the second longhorn is Titoceres jaspideus refer to http://www.ispotnature.org/node/624397
    If possible, please post these two longhorns on Ispot, we are currently trying to record the species of longhorns that occur in the southern African region
    Regards
    Riana

Thanks for your identifications. Mathias has never written us back to thank us for other identifications we have made for him.

2. Riana bate says:

the first longhorn in the first photo may be Pycnopsis brachyptera obsoleta Fahraeus, 1872 reference https://www.flickr.com/photos/coleoptera-us/3018625745/in/set-72157607363771409